As with before any help with improving this translation is very appreciated.
"The Clear Knowing of Spirit/Intelligent Awareness is Also Not It"
1. Practitioners that are paying close attention to oneself, experiencing oneself, continuously and directly looking into life's fundamental substance, will often encounter a kind of vast, pure/undefiled, seemingly unmoving state of "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness". And there are those who think that just this is "Buddha-Nature", "Buddha", "The Original Face". This is actually not so, do not have a mistaken idea.
2. This vast, peaceful, seemingly unmoving state of "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness", is a kind of undefiled state of mental consciousness. It still has arising and cessation, it is still a dharma of arising and cessation. If you do not see this, when a person dies, or faints, or undergoes the deep dreamless sleep during the night, where is this "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness" residing at? No more (?)! From this we know, the "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness" is also arising and ceasing dharmas, it is not the not permanent and not impermanent Buddha-Nature/original face.
3. This vast, peaceful, seemingly unmoving state of "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness", is also called "the luminous-form body", and also called "the body apart from the body". It is still a form of "appearance", similar to the appearance of our form/physical body, it is similarly an appearance. One isn't superior to the other, nor is one of a higher class. If we "seize upon conditions" and treat it is as my Self, when the thirtieth of the twelfth lunar month comes (meaning the time of death), we'll see who will you adhere to?
4. If we think that the pure state of "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness" is the Self, is the Original Face, that would be another kind of self-grasping, it is an image of self in another form. It is like dropping the physical body yet treating the luminous body as Self, Mine, in such a case of dropping and grasping, it is like a blind man picking maize, dropping one yet picking another; it is also like a big yellow dog biting on a bone, dropping the jawbone of a donkey and picking up a bone of a deer. Always unable to rest and withdraw the hands, always unable to empty one's mouth. One is always not a man that is clean and free of things (to do), unable to be truly liberated.
5. This state of "clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness", can only be made use of, but should not be "seized upon" (grasped at), and even more one should never establish it as Self or Mine. Abiding in such a state could allow us to enjoy a sense of refreshment but we should never stubbornly guard it. If we stubbornly guard it, we are finding another post for tying horses, or a donkey peg (is this right?), again entering into a kind of cave of a black mountain, a bucket of black lacquer. No matter what we are carrying, no matter what we are guarding after, one will always never obtain freedom, it belongs to contrived actions, it is all action/conditioned dharmas.
6. Protecting/keeping after realization, is not protecting/keeping it: it is also not to realize it. It is only a "by-product" of realization, it is naturally encountered. Protecting/keeping, is simply keeping the non-arising of subject and object, even if it has arisen one also does not grasp at it. Protecting/keeping is to sustain a kind of state in which life flows smoothly without obstructions, it is not about protecting/keeping a something. If we protect/keep a something, that is not protecting/keeping, that is finding a post for tying horse, finding a golden cage or silver cage or crystal cage or other similar kinds of cages.
7. "The Clear Knowing of Spirit/Intelligent Awareness" is only a kind of use/function of life, just like the uses/functions of walking, standing, sitting and lying down. We should not overvalue that which is inexpensive, we should not over-weigh that which is light, we should not mythologize it, nor sanctify it, that would be walking into the deep mountains of fantasies/deluded thoughts, and not coming to the country of truth. When the clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness manifests, we simply know it as it is, but do not hold nor protect/keep, nor do we restrict nor prevent, simply know and use it as it is; treating it should be similar to treating our own physical body.
8. The bright moon shines in the sky, that is still the man below rank (not yet entering the gate). The clear knowing of spirit/intelligent awareness, should never lead to the stubborn arising of views. Establishing subject and object in the midst of seeing, birth and death comes yet another round. When the root (sense faculty) and dust (sense object) meet, clear appearances are also illusions. All that are illusions should be left, we should not give rise to thoughts of craving. The appearance of bright and clear spirit/intelligence is not the Buddha's original face. Buddha has ten thousand faces, each face is fresh and alive. Speaking up to ask the noble man, which face is the Buddha's face? Where is the Buddha's face? Who knows and who has seen it before? When you are able to see the Dharmakaya, it is clearly right in front.